Monday, December 17, 2012

Who Is Your Mary? Who Is Your Elizabeth?

Luke 1.56
And Mary remained with her for about three months and then returned to her home.
                                                         


As we have learned from Adam Hamilton’s The Journey, a pregnancy out of wedlock was very scandalous and Joseph himself was wrestling with how to handle it. Imagine how Mary felt: young, pregnant, unwed, and likely fearful of being abandoned by Joseph. I’d like to think that she went to Elizabeth and Zacharias’ home to have a safe place to rest and to have a nurturing place to grow the infant Jesus in her womb. What a blessing for Mary! To not have to hide her pregnancy and carry on her normal daily life in her hometown of Nazareth. Instead, she was loved, nurtured and given the time to come to grips with how her life has changed so quickly.

And, what a testament this hospitality is of Elizabeth and Zacharias, who themselves were preparing for the arrival of their infant son. What sacrifices did Elizabeth and Zacharias have to make to accommodate a guest in their home for three months? Was it difficult to provide food and water? Was Mary in the throws of morning sickness and unable to help around the house?

As I prepare for the celebration of Jesus’ birth, I am reminded of the blessings I have received of nurturing places in my life. Where are the nurturing places for you in your life? Where can you rest and reflect and gain strength to face your challenges? How have these people and places given you comfort, respite and strength to carry on?

I offer this prayer today:
Heavenly Father, thank you for the nurturing places in my life and for the nurturing people who gave me comfort and allowed me to rest when I needed it. Please help me to find time in the business of my life to rest and to listen for your word and guidance. Amen.

Alexis Fletcher, Chancel Choir and UrbanLife member