Monday, December 31, 2012

Late to the Party?

I have only celebrated New Year's Eve in America. I've watched the presentations that show the midnight celebrations around the world. I remember watching intently as the clocks rolled to 2000 around the world. I remember people thinking something major would happen, like at least every computer crashing. No major fireworks, other than the fireworks planned of course. 

The unknown is hard. We've heard a lot of predictions of the end of days lately. There seems to be at least one prediction a year. Yet, when war breaks out around the Holy Land I think some religious eschatologists start thinking the end is near. But, if God does operate on the Gregorian calendar, the I suppose having a heightened alertness on New Year's Eve could make sense.

Tonight we will be arriving in Jerusalem where, being a large metropolitan city, I imagine there will be a NYE celebration, but thinking about the different cultures in this land it made me think about how many celebrations of a New Year there are around the world. 

Most of Israel is Jewish or Muslim, both religions have already celebrated their religious new year. The Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, began at sundown September 16, 2012. The celebration is the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve. The Hijri New Year, also known as Islamic new year, began at sunset November 14, 2012. New Year of the Gregorian calendar and Roman calendar, January 1, 2013. Maybe we're a little late to the party?

So, what will New Year's Eve look like here? Fireworks? Auld Lang Syne? Streamers? I don't know yet, but I'm certain I'll be able to answer that question easier than: What will the new year look like?

I do genuinely hope that 2013 provides you joy and is filled with love.