Thursday, December 13, 2012

Joseph Did What the Lord Commanded

Matthew 1.24-25
 
When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus.
                                                          
 
Ok, I agreed to do this blog thing, fully expecting to have to struggle to say something meaningful, first to anyone else, but also to me.
After reading the scripture and the Hamilton reflection, I was frankly stunned to have a semi-significant experience!  (I don’t want to oversell it, so I am going with “semi” significant).
Here goes:
My first thought is that only a nut would follow what an angel told him in a dream. The book tells us Joseph was probably only 15-16 years old, so that explains it, right? Or does it? Maybe this kind of innocence is another word for faith. I frankly cannot imagine the faith it would take to cause Joseph to marry his betrothed, when she turned up pregnant, and a voice in a dream tells him the child is “from the Holy Spirit”. Right. Joseph simply “did as the angel of the Lord commanded him”, and married Mary.
I wonder if God expects us to accept what happens to us, and make the best of it; even those things we view as tragic or unbearable when they occur?
Mary and Joseph certainly made the best of the cards they were dealt. No whining, no push-back at all. Just simple acceptance.
My son was two years old when he developed Type one diabetes. I still remember the phone call from Susan after she had been told by our pediatrician of the diagnosis. I remember how it felt, to realize our lives, and my son’s life, would never be the same. Since then, there have been many struggles, heart-aches and frightening experiences because of diabetes.
However, the reality is that all of us are different people because of this circumstance, and in some ways better people. We empathize with the plight of others, view the medical profession in a totally different light than we would otherwise (thank GOD for them!!), are more conscious of our diet, as well as of the precious gift that every moment together represents. Pollyanna naiveté? Or acceptance of reality? Or simple and innocent trust that “God is with us”, like Joseph?
Hey, I get upset as anyone when something goes awry with my plans, as I had them laid out. I suppose this scripture speaks to me in that upset, reminding me that in all things, God is with me. It also calls me to listen for the voice of God, wherever it may appear, in the form of friends, loved ones, the preacher, the choir, the street person, or... 
Mike Holloway, 2013 Church Council Chair, Chancel Choir & Class Etc. member