Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Here Am I, the Servant of the Lord"

Luke 1.38

Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ Then the angel departed from her.
                                                                                  
 
What were you doing at 13 years old? I was in the 9th grade at Greer High School, a late bloomer, giggly, energetic. I was lead angel in the Christmas pageant at Grace United Methodist Church singing a solo about the star in the east while wearing a white choir robe and balancing atop a step ladder.
Remembering those days, and knowing our 9th grade Variations girls as I do, I’m amazed at 13 year old Mary’s response when Gabriel flew in and dropped the, “You’re going to give birth to the son of God!” bomb on her that day. Was Mary’s knee-jerk response really so calm and serene? Or is the writer of Luke using a little poetic license to omit the part where Mary screams and runs out of the room, or perhaps laughs uncontrollably, saying, “You’re kidding me, right!?” Or was she so preoccupied with a cute boy in her village that she never heard a word he said? These sorts of questions could go on and on I suppose, but I wonder if we can consider the possibility that Mary’s young heart could have been just peaceful and open enough to receive Gabriel’s words freely, recognizing them as God’s own? Could it be that she was blessed with just enough naivety and blind faith to say simply, “Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word?” No panic, no shock, just blind faith, stepping off the threshold with no idea where her foot would land, yet moving forward into darkness one step at a time, recognizing only the voice of the one who called her.


Prayer:
God grant me to be silent before you, that I may hear you.
At rest in you that you might work in me.
Open to you, that you may enter.
Empty before you, that you may fill me.
Let me be still and know that you are my God.
(Anonymous)
Dana Effler, Director of Music and Arts Ministries