Monday, December 31, 2012

Asleep on the Sea of Galilee

I couldn't sleep. I was sleeping by the Sea of Galilee...

Every hour or so, I would run to the window, open it up and breathe deep. Was I dreaming? That I was sleeping where the disciples slept. As they closed their eyes, what did they see? What were they dreaming about? We're they as restless as I was?

Certainly, it is just a place. But for most of the action of the Gospels, the Sea of Galilee was THE place. Now, it teems with life: live music, rich food, animated conversation. The restlessness of the community indicates its rhythm of the centuries. Within this rhythm Jesus walked and called to those who would listen, "Follow me into life." The days and the nights on the Sea of Galilee has been calling to me too.

With the night brings mist. The mist gave way to sunlight. The clouds of restless sleep gave way to enthusiasm. Maybe in my waking hours I too will see the opportunity Jesus offers: peace. Peace be unto you this day; walk in the way that leads to life, sleepless as it may be.

Rev. Andy Stoker, PhD