Wednesday, December 12, 2012

They Will Call Him Emmanuel

Matthew 1.22-23
 
All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: “Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel,” which means, “God is with us.”
                                                        
 
What is it about a comforting visible reminder?
 
When I was a child I had a favorite blanket – simple white cotton with a dimpled weave. (I’ve romanticized it as being my baby blanket from when I was only a couple of days old, but I’d have to confirm that with my mother.) Anyway, it became the definition of security blanket. I would sit on the sofa with it and use it as a shield to hide my eyes from scary parts of movies. When I was feeling sad or alone, it was my cuddle partner. Over the years it literally grew with me. It became so stretched and tattered, but all the more loved. When I had it, wherever I was, I knew everything would be ok.
Did I see God in that blanket? I don’t know. I did see something that I didn’t want to be without.
A comforting, visible reminder.
God knows that we seek comfort. We desire to be safe, secure. Sometimes there isn’t always a clear, visible reminder. But what we do have is the knowledge that God has committed to never abandoning us. In fact, God is with us. Emmanuel.
Lord, thank you that you never leave me or disown me. Help me to trust that you are with me always. Help me to draw strength and courage from your presence in my life. Amen.
Kat Kaden, Media Resources Manager, Rotunda Board Chair, Chancel Choir and UrbanLife member