Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Unplanned Wedding That Scripture Doesn't Mention

Luke 2.3-4
All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David.
                                                    
 
In the devotional material and the Advent Study Book, “The Journey”, by Adam Hamilton, a vivid picture is painted of the social and life threatening situation in which Mary, and Joseph, find themselves. I do not think either said “here am I Lord”, without knowing the position and risks they were taking in their social setting. We could dwell in detail on all the ramifications of this; but, I found myself looking in another direction. Mary and Joseph obviously had great Faith. They said “here am I Lord” knowing their lives, their plans, their whole world – would change by accepting God’s call.

I thought - how thrilling - how exciting - how satisfying - it must have felt for them knowing they were serving God in this most special way. Mary simply said, “Here am I, servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word”. I am humbled and greatly challenged by Mary’s and Joseph’s responses to God’s call.

Adam Hamilton takes Matthew’s account of the virgin birth and scripture from Isaiah to define and emphasize the “Immanuel Prophecy” - that Jesus, the Son of God, wrapped in human flesh so the invisible was made visible so that we might know that we are not alone. And, as followers of Jesus, God expects and calls on each of us to be visible reminders of hope and God’s love - the hands and feet of Jesus.

I have learned that God speaks to me and answers many of my prayers. I think I am doing better at praying for God’s will and God’s support rather than praying for what I want. What I do not know is how many times God has called and I failed to answer, or worse, answered I was too busy, or that something else was more important to me at that time. Did I fail to be God’s visible reminder to someone I could have helped or served? I am reminded on more than one occasion of stewing over some situation, when an idea suddenly came to me out of the blue to resolve the issue - and, how quickly I patted myself on the back - only later realizing God had answered my prayer and all praise was due God.

I think back to Mary and Joseph, and the satisfaction they must have felt, in spite of all the external pressures, fully knowing they were exactly serving God’s purpose. I believe that would be the greatest feeling possible.

Adam Hamilton’s closing prayer in the devotional is that we not be judgmental of others, that we not gossip and that we be forgiving when others question our motives or actions. I think these are examples of the Immanuel Prophecy - always being reminders of hope and of God’s love.

With this and Mary as my example, my prayer is that I am keenly listening and always ready to say “here am I Lord, let it be according to your will.”

Jim Byrd, Journey Sunday school class member