Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 38: A humble foot washing

 Scripture Readings: Exodus 12.1-42 and John 13.1-17, 31b-35

When I read the scripture passage of Jesus’ washing the disciples’ feet, I’m reminded again in this powerful teaching moment that Jesus showed us what he meant when he commanded us to love one another.  We’ve heard it many times: to humble oneself, to serve, and to consider others better than ourselves.  But if I’m completely honest, like Peter, I am not very comfortable with the idea of Jesus washing my feet.  I am not really willing to be that vulnerable, allowing another to ‘touch my feet’, and willing to accept the role reversal... it’s just too much.  It requires me to let go of my egocentric self, of my need to control and to acquire, and my need to be important and popular.  It also demands that I face my guilt, my sin, and my brokenness.  It’s just too much, really.

At my ordination service, Bishop Moncure washed the feet of all the ordinands in front of a full congregation of clergy, friends, and family.  It was a humbling and emotion-filled moment. With this act, he set in motion a legacy of caring for others by humbling himself. He took all the intense years of study, practice, and preparation, gaining all the head knowledge required, and in the final moment, turned the focus to heart knowing.  It was a conversion moment.  Hundreds had gathered to celebrate, and to acknowledge the accomplishments of students and congregations who had worked together to raise up and ordain a dozen persons into ministry.  In the act of foot washing, the focus turned our heads and hearts to God, and what God asks of each of us.  My calling, and the calling of my colleagues and all those in the congregation that night, as well as for Christians especially in our western culture, is to a conversion that moves us from a rational and pragmatic ‘head faith’, to a faith that reaches the heart, and of loving others as Christ did.  

This Maundy Thursday, consider who has been for you a teacher of humble service?  Who has ‘washed your feet’, by loving and accepting you as you are?  And when have you experienced Christ, not merely in religious practices and rituals, but in the ordinary and messiness of relationships? Reach out and thank them.  And then go, and do likewise.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)

Lord God, You love us more than we can think or imagine. Sometimes it just feels like to much to comprehend, and too much to do. So, deepen our understanding and expand our hearts. Humble us, and then empower us to pour out Your love for others. Amen.

Rev. Linda Roby, Associate Minister/Minister of Congregational Care/Minister of Local and Global Missions