Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 26: Listen to Me

Scripture Readings: Jeremiah  22.13-23 and John 6.41-51

I recently watched my daughter-in-law execute one of her many excellent parenting skills on one of her three daughters.  In order to get the attention of the six-year-old, she said, “Listen to me…look at my face!”  My granddaughter looked at her mother’s face, and believe me, she DID listen.

In today’s passage from Jeremiah, we see one of many descriptions of how the people of Judah did not listen to God. God speaks in verse 21 “I spoke to you in your prosperity, but you said, ‘I will not listen’.”  We can only imagine God’s frustration with his children, similar to what parents today experience with their own. But as evidence of God’s goodness and love for all, God sent his son, Jesus, to help us listen.  Jesus said, “Everyone who has listened to the Father and learned from him comes to me.” (John 6:45b)

Jesus Christ is the face of God.  The children weren’t listening, so God sent Jesus; as if to say, “Listen to me… look at my face!”  This Lenten season as we look at the face of Jesus on the cross, let’s listen.

Dianne Schayot, Chancel Choir, Alleluya Ringers, New Koinonia Class, United Methodist Women