Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 30: Blind and yet I see

Scripture Readings: Jeremiah 25.8-17 and John 9.18-41
 
Today’s passage in John 9 continues the account of a miracle. Jesus applies clay on the eyes of a blind man, bringing sight for the first time. The Pharisees buzz about, bothered by Jesus’ presence and scandalized by miracles happening on the Sabbath. They label Jesus a Samaritan, a sinner and a demon.

The Pharisees call the healed man in for questioning. “So you say you were blind. Then this Jesus person gives you sight and now you see. Is that your story?” The man says it is his story, and he is sticking to it. The Pharisees summon the parents. “Is he your son? Was he blind?” They hate to enrage the Pharisees, but yes and yes, the parents confirm. They refer the flock of Pharisees back to the man.

“So, one more time. You say you were blind. Why do you now see? This Jesus is a sinner.” Well, the man says does not know about the whole sinner part, but he was blind and now he sees. It is a marvel! The Pharisees cast the man out, reminding him of his birth in utter sin. They cannot make sense of the mystery, so they shun the messenger.

Jesus seeks out the man. In a simple exchange, the man states his faith in Jesus as the Son of Man. The man was blind and now he sees.  No calling of witnesses. No interrogating bystanders. No consultation with his parents. His eyes open to see the world and to see God in one sweep of mercy.

The miracle – the marvel – of sight happens today. While Jesus used clay in John’s account, the Spirit of God uses a wide array of means to bring us to sight. In our relationships with people of our world, God shines light into our darkest corners, illuminating our hard edges and calling us to grace, mercy, forgiveness, compassion and faithfulness.  I thought I was pretty well put together until our two daughters were born. The sheer magnitude of Life in those young ones quickly undid me. My illusion of control and order flew out the window. Watch this, God said.  The girls have been mirrors of clarity used to transform me each and every day.

The Spirit uses my elderly parents and in-laws as a lesson in sight. When I am at my wit’s end with the wheels falling off the best-laid plans, God consistently shines a shard of light to change my view. Can you see? See Love? See Life?  See past this moment to eternity? I was on the bathroom floor trimming my mother’s gnarly, old-folk toenails. The toenails were not cooperating with my hurrying. A sunbeam burst through the window. It warmed my head. It shone on my mother’s face. She smiled at me. Take me now, Lord, I thought. This is as close as we get to Heaven, so take me now.

I love Easter time. Death is redeemed into Life. I do not know how God works. I do know that God works. I was and am blind. I see now and will see even more. It is a marvel.
 
Joni Grace Powers, FirstChurch member, author