Saturday, March 23, 2013

Day 34: Many do not believe in Jesus

Scripture Readings: Jeremiah  31.27-34 and John 11.28-44 or 12.37-50
 
Jesus has been performing miracles in the presence of people and speaking to the crowds, yet many still do not get it.  I can only imagine what it must have been like to witness this Man from Galilee and try to get my brain around His message.    He was not just performing miracle and teaching the crowds, He was meddling in their daily life and social comforts.    Can you imagine what you would do if someone comes up and tells you that you must change the way you live and your friends?   Jesus is teaching a new concept and not a new product.    A concept is not visible and a product is very visible.    Now the people are to believe in something they cannot see or touch.    This is the same reaction that Isaiah got when he prophesied to the people.

When we were in the Holy Land I was struck with the country side.   I stood on the Mt of the Beatitudes overlooking the Sea of Galilee and tried to imagine the hills being covered with people and Jesus sitting on the ground teaching.    This was such a peaceful setting and spending a few minutes with Christ in this place was so special.   It was so hard to believe that after spending time in this peaceful pastoral setting He would enter Jerusalem where there is so much animosity towards Him.  Of course we have the benefit of the rest of the story.  
As I read this scripture, I wonder how many did believe in him and were afraid to admit it for fear of what people would think?    We know from last week’s study the only person who spoke up for Jesus was Mrs. Pilate.    Now just how amazing was that to you.   I found it very hard to get my brain around.     Jesus tells us in this passage, “that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness”.   How often do you and I hide in the darkness rather than speak up for what is right and just?   I am convicted when I think of this and am ashamed for I know the rest of the story and still give in to weakness and peer pressure.  

As we approach Holy Week, I see the Palm Sunday Road, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Garden tomb and the path Jesus walked to His crucifixion.  I feel His presence in a way that I have never been able to before.    I know that because of the Holy Land experience I will never worship or read the Bible the same.   I also know that I will still give in to my weaknesses and am reminded that He hung on that cross to set me free from my sin.   Jesus loves each of me no matter what I do or don’t do and that will never change.    What a gift!!!
Sandra Wilbanks, Journeys and Class, Etc. member