Monday, December 2, 2013

Teaching the Story

 Deuteronomy 6.6-9

Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

In first grade when my mom would drive me to school in the morning she took the opportunity to teach me the Lord’s Prayer and what it meant. That was the first experience I remember of her sharing her faith and teaching me about it. Growing up my mom took many opportunities to teach me about Jesus and what he taught. Deuteronomy lays out two responsibilities for Christian parents, that they need to teach their children about God, Jesus, and the story of the Christian faith and this needs to be continuous. Advent is a time that invites all of us to share and remember the Christmas Story and what it means. It is in the sharing that our faith lights the world and lives on into the next generation of believers. 

Rocky Dwyer, Director of Youth Ministries