Monday, December 16, 2013

Preparing a Place

John 14:1-6

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The Christmas lights didn’t look quite right, so back to the store I went.  Yet another errand I made to ensure the holiday decorations were just right for the Christmas season.  Add putting up the Christmas tree, setting the table, hanging the stockings, and it quickly became a multi-day affair just to decorate my home for the holidays.

For my husband and me, this has been a year defined by establishing our home.  We moved three times in nine months, and just in time for the holidays, we are finally into our new home.  It has taken an enormous amount of time, energy, and resources to prepare our house.  But at last, it feels so wonderful to be settled in.

Jesus does even more for each of us!  What a blessing!  The energy we all put into our homes, whether it be decorating for the holidays or moving into a new place, does not even compare to what Christ is doing for each and every one of us.  What a glorious sight!  Our God is preparing a place for us right now.  I envision Jesus building a fire, hanging the stockings, and fretting over the Christmas lights.  He cares this much for his people – we are blessed indeed!

It’s my prayer this Advent season that as I continue to prepare my home for the holidays, I also make room for Jesus in my home and in my heart.  With each present I wrap and every dish I cook, I hope and pray to be blessed by God’s presence and be a blessing to others during this holy season.

Amy Sanderson, UrbanLife member