Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cravings

John 6:35-40

Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.’

What is your favorite food?  For me, I absolutely love tacos.  Simple, sure, but I am almost always ready to eat a taco(s) for lunch, dinner, a late night snack… Okay I think you get it.  Now think of the most delicious meal you have ever had.  Imagine if we craved a relationship with Jesus Christ that much, or even more. 

In these verses Jesus does a few things.  He says that He is the bread of life.  Food is very much necessary for our own survival.  We need it every day.  But only Jesus can provide us with the spiritual sustenance necessary to truly live.  This bread is not something that we should eat only on Sundays.  It is not something that we should overly indulge on only on Easter, Christmas, or during the Advent season.  We need Jesus in our lives every day.  He should be our breakfast, lunch, and dinner, our appetizer, main course, and dessert.  If we center our lives around Him in such a way, Jesus tells us that He will not only sustain us, He will never drive us away.  This kind of love is barely comprehensible in its scope and beauty, yet Jesus came to all of us over 2,000 years ago to show us just how much we mean to God.  He has been preparing this feast for eternity and all we have to do is accept, take, and eat.  So this Advent season, and every season of your life, make room for Jesus Christ in your heart, mind, and soul as His love sustains, fills, and lasts forever.

Jon Reed, Director of UrbanLife