Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Good Life

Matthew 11.25-30

At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I like that we come off the Thanksgiving season and move directly into Advent. Moving our hearts and minds with a spirit of thanksgiving into anticipation of the coming of Christ just seems right and good. The scripture lesson for today emphasizes that Christ is the way to rest and a good life.

What does it mean to rest and have a good life I wonder?  I am a doer by nature. I like to make things happen, strive to make things better, bring people joy and a feeling of being loved and cared for. That does not translate into taking a nap or lying around "resting". A good life means to have enough to eat, a roof over our head with loved ones near.  The good life takes work, intentional work on my part. And yet as I move through the middle years of my life I realize that there is a balance in striving and letting go. It is in Christ and through resting in Him that I find the good life.  A life of purpose, love, joy and hope. A life focused on Christ is not a life of ease, but it is a life of light. This season of Advent I wish for all of us to renew our relationship with God through Christ with expectation of the joy and light that comes from resting in Christ Jesus.

It is with a Thankful heart that we enter into this great season of anticipation of the Christ child again!

Sherrye Bass, Executive Assistant to Dr. Stoker