Friday, December 13, 2013

Hope in the Darkness

Isaiah 9:2-7 

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness— on them light has shined. You have multiplied the nation, you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as people exult when dividing plunder. For the yoke of their burden, and the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. For all the boots of the tramping warriors and all the garments rolled in blood shall be burned as fuel for the fire. For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. His authority shall grow continually, and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and his kingdom. He will establish and uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time onward and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this. 

As I sit through the ice storm which is just now hitting Dallas, I can’t help but feel surrounded by darkness in some ways. The clouds are a deep, dark grey. The roads are covered with brown, sometimes translucent, ice. I can’t hear anyone, as it seems most people are staying inside on this gloomy day.

Days like this one can get me down at times. I am a person who doesn’t always like this cold, dreary weather. I am more accustomed to heat, sunshine, and the occasional laughter of families and friends in the park. This current weather has me sitting in a darkness, just waiting for the sun to come out, the ice on the roads to melt, and the people of Dallas to come back out of their hiding. Thankfully my power hasn’t gone out, but I pray for the safety and comfort for those who have lost theirs.

In this season I pray and call for all of us to remember the best Christmas gift we have received. I feel I am always able to “hold out” during the gloom of an ice storm in my life because I know that there is an inner light within me always, guiding me towards the better times ahead.

I can’t but imagine all the people who experience darkness in their lives too often. Those who are sitting in gloom, feeling helpless, alone, powerless. Perhaps they are waiting for a “light” to come on as well. Maybe they’re given up hope.

But there is hope.

And if they do not know the hope and love of Christ which is present with them this advent season, let us serve as a constant reminder of his work in our lives. Let us proclaim and celebrate the anniversary of his birth! The one who is our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, our Prince of Peace. The one we call the messiah is born! And with Christ on our side, the darkness will never win!  
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it. – John 1:5
Scott Anderson, Pastoral Resident