Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 9: He must become greater

Scripture Readings: Deuteronomy  10.12-22 and John 3.22-36

As I read today’s scripture, it is verse 30 “He must become greater; I must become less” that gets to the heart of the passage. John not only says these words, he embodies the words through his actions and his responses. John had been baptizing people in Judea and when Jesus begins also begins to baptize   John’s followers question why there are two groups baptizing and why Jesus becomes greater.  I would argue that it is a human response to question when power is shifting away from us.  John however puts those thoughts into perspective for them by saying:

“A man can receive only what is given him from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.’ The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less”. (John 3:27-30)

John’s life was completely devoted to Christ. His every action and word was loyal to the work of spreading the good news and he found his joy in doing so.
 
He must become greater; I must become less.

On any given day you will hear someone utter the phrase “It’s not about you!” in our house. Most of the time the children are saying it to each other, often we are saying it to the children, and on occasion it is even said from one adult to the other.  As I reflect on this passage I can’t help wonder if God is saying the same thing to me. Am I allowing Him to become a “greater” part of me? Have I finally stopped feeling that “it’s all about me”?  Do I have Him deep within my thoughts and heart so that when I plan my day and life He is at the center? Is He in yours?

He must become greater; I must become less.

We must allow Christ deep within our hearts and minds so that our limits and fears are small and His everlasting joy and love are “greater”. And then and only then can we be who He intended. Loyal servants in our thoughts, actions, and words while spreading the good news.

Anamaria Mares, Agape Sunday school member