Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 11: All the nourishment you need

Scripture Readings: Jeremiah  1.11-19 and John 4.27-42

At first Jesus is talking to this women. She leaves the scene, and tells a group of people in town about Jesus. While she is out of the picture Jesus refuses to eat anything. (No, he wasn't watching his figure) and his disciples are urging him to eat. But he won’t. So, finally they ask the right question. Why? Why won't Jesus eat something? He says, “My food is to do what the one who sent me wants me to do.” This one line of dialog pretty much sums up everything we are taught. You do what the Big Man wants you do, and that's all the nourishment you need. Anyways, so many people in town already believe in Jesus. The people beg Jesus to stay and so he does. More people convert, and they tell the women some good news. “First we believe because of what you told us, now we believe because of what heard from ourselves. He is the one who will save the world.”
As I was reading this I thought about my trip. As you probably know, a group of us went to Israel. I went on the trip with my grandmother, grandfather and father. On this trip we went to two places Jesus could have been buried. The first one was the Holy Sepulchre Church, which I personally have a hard time believing, and the Garden tomb. To me, this was real deal. It’s a tiny cave in the middle of a garden. We were only allowed to go in groups of six or seven, and so my family all went last as a group. Standing in this cave I got chills. And my family just suddenly got the urge to circle up and pray in this tomb. You know my entire life I was told that there is a God. And I believed because they told me. But now I believe because I heard for myself in that tomb.
Halie Harrison, FUMC youth, Higher Ground member