Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 3: The Great Shema

Scripture Readings: Deuteronomy 7.12-16 and John 1.35-42

Moses, the reluctant leader, recites what becomes the great shema of the Israelite people: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. “ Moses continues with a call to devotion and faithfulness in Deuteronomy 6. “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.” How many of us recited those very words in catechism class or Sunday School? I always said the scripture with hesitation and a softer voice. The “all” and the “heart, soul, might” parts seemed too much to hope given my performance to date.

Moses describes the blessings for God’s people when they are obedient to their calling. The blessings cover everything: fruit of the womb and the ground, grain, wine, oil, flocks, health, and you name it. He warns against the snare of turning away from God. The Israelites declare intentions of purity and truth. Yet time and time again, their wanderlust finds them dancing with abandon in the temples of other gods.

In John 1, John the Baptist calls out to Jesus: “Look, there is the Lamb of God!” Imagine Jesus just walking by you. The men with John, including Andrew, immediately latch onto Jesus. Andrew grabs his brother and brings him along. “We have found the Messiah!” So begins the cadre of disciples who will follow Jesus until death and beyond. They pledge to never leave or forsake Him. We know the story: the disciples’ journeys are rocky and fraught with drama. Andrew’s brother, Simon Peter, is the very one who denies even knowing Jesus, as a crowd questions his loyalties.

I say the great shema with desire in my whole being to love God well. I want to pursue God as my greatest affection and to follow the Lamb. But I settle for so much less. I chase lesser loves. I walk away from blessings in search of who knows what.

I lean hard on the beginning of John 1. “And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, full of grace and truth.” I need the undeserved, unmerited favor of a covenant-keeping God. Grace saves me over and over. Truth calls me back to “The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.”

This Lenten season, may the Spirit work in you to rejuvenate and renew your love for God and for all human beings loved by God. May God Emmanuel, who became flesh and lived among us, shine grace and truth into every nook and cranny of your being. In this, may you find peace.

Joni Powers, FirstChurch member, author