Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 12: Blind Faith

Scripture Readings: Jeremiah  2.1-13 and John 4.43-54

The season of Lent has always been for me a time of reflection. This year I am reflecting on what God’s plan is for my life. Am I living my best life – the life that God intended me to live? How do I know that I’m on the best path? These are big questions and are difficult to digest. How do I reconcile my human desire for knowing in my head that I’m walking down the right path with my heart’s desire to trust in God and to rely on him for direction?

When I read the passage of John 4:43-54, I am inspired by the faith shown by the royal official. This royal official lived in Capernaum and heard that Jesus was in Cana and he traveled all the way to Cana to ask for Jesus’ help. This distance is about 20-25 miles, or a day’s walk on foot. The nobleman begged Jesus to come with him back to Capernaum to heal his son. Jesus’ response was, “Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.” After this, the nobleman seemed not to understand what Jesus meant and asked again, “Sir come down before my little boy dies.” Rather than Jesus returning with the official, he simply said, “Go; your son will live.” It is at this point that the official’s faith inspires me. John reports that “The man believed the words that Jesus spoke to him and started on his way.”  The official had enough faith to believe in that moment that Jesus had healed his son. It is also interesting to note the length of time the official took to return home. He encountered his slaves on his return journey and they reported that the fever left his son at 1 in the afternoon the previous day. The official had so much faith that he did not hurry home to be by his son’s bedside. What an extraordinary amount of faith!

As you reflect on this scripture in John, what are the things in your life that you struggle with to have blind faith? Are there things that you find it hard to give up to God completely? Does your human mind get in your way of discovering your heart’s true desire?

The hope in the resurrection is our guide forward as Christians. If we have faith and trust in God completely, amazing things will happen in our lives.

Please pray with me:
Heavenly Father, thank you for making me human, and giving me such an inquisitive mind. Please help me calm my mind and open my heart to receive the Holy Spirit. I hope that I may have faith as strong as that of the royal official: to believe that in Jesus, all things are possible. Amen.

Alexis Fletcher, Chancel Choir and UrbanLife member