Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 5: Laws of Love

Scripture Readings: Deuteronomy 8.11-18 and John 2.1-12

These passages strike me as a reminder that God’s laws for us are signs he loves us, and when we follow them, we are showing we love Him.

In the Old Testament verse, the Hebrews needed constant reminders that God was their deliverer; it was not through their efforts that they reached the Promised Land, or were allowed to defeat their enemies.  In the New Testament verse, Jesus, by changing water into wine, reminded the wedding guests that they needed help, and Jesus represents God saving His “best” for last (verse 10), by sending Jesus.

I was unchurched as a kid, and I felt left out often, when attending funerals or weddings, and I would see that most others were familiar with the rituals (“The Lord’s Prayer”, for example).  With no background to help explain, I still instinctively knew that some sense of obedience to a Higher authority was present in most people I met.  I could also tell that those who had it seemed to have some sense of belonging or confidence that I did not have.  As I got older, and my own struggles with life came into more clear view, I was aware I could not always find strength to cope within myself.  After meeting my wife, and seeing her faith experience, I began to yearn for “something else” in this faith arena.

I knew I did not have all the answers.
 
I found a faith experience at First Church, joining and being baptized in my 30’s; BUT, I also found that having that faith did not shield me from wants or cares.

Like the Hebrews, in my early faith journey I wanted to have God deliver me MY WAY, or to take care of my problems MY WAY.  Silly me, I did not realize that sometimes, if not often, my way is just not going to happen.  AND, also, sometimes, if not often, my way would not have been best.  Being unable to fix everything or everyone, including myself, is the human condition.

The Old Testament verses say we should not let our hearts “become proud” so that we “will forget the Lord your God”.  Deut. 8:14.  The New Testament wedding story showed Jesus’ power to meet our every need.  God will provide, I suppose, is the message, and He may do so using something ordinary like water, or even using humble people like us.  Frankly, the older I get (now 60), the more I am perfectly happy to let God handle my biggest problems, HIS way.  I guess that means I am slowly getting the message; at least I hope so.
 
Mike Holloway, 2013 Church Council Chair, Chancel Choir, Class Etc. & 1stEco Team member