Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spread the Joy - Rocky Dwyer

Breath Prayer and Words for the Day:  Love sees the good in others.

One of my favorite movies to watch during the Christmas season is Elf.  Elf is the story of Buddy the elf who learns he is actually a human and goes to New York City to find his dad.  Buddy is everything we enjoy about the Christmas season.  What I like best about Buddy is he is a friend to everyone and he wants everyone to experience the joy of Christmas.  As Buddy says, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to sing loud for all to hear.”  Buddy discovers that his dad does not have the Christmas spirit but through the course of the movie Buddy’s love transforms his dad to find the love and joy of Christmas.  If there is someone in your life who has a tough time getting into the season I would encourage you take them to go see a movie, go caroling, drive around had see the Christmas lights, give to Toys for Tots, or whatever you can think of that witnesses to the joy and love of the season.  Perhaps through such acts you can help them find the spirit of the season.  For me I really enjoy going caroling with my youth group.  I can’t sing very well but I try to be joyful.  When we go and sing I see the affect it has on the people and us.  After a rousing number of Jungle Bells or the stillness of Silent Night it shares a part of Christmas.  Go and make a joyful noise and share the transforming power of Christmas.