Monday, March 19, 2012

Jumping Off Bridges - Gretchen Combs

24 Hours That Changed the World: "The Shout of the Crowd"
Scripture:  Pilate gave the crowd what it wanted, set Barabbas free and turned Jesus over for whipping and crucifixion.  Mark 15:15 (The Message, The Bible in Contemporary Language by Eugene Peterson)

As a young parent, I can remember vowing never to use the “ mommalies” my mother used on me growing up.  As a reminder,  we all know that losing an eye starts out as fun and games;  we must eat our Brussells  sprouts because there are children starving somewhere;  if we made that face one more time it would freeze that way; and the tried and true if all your friends were jumping off a bridge, would you jump too?  No matter what I vowed then, I  must confess now, I have used every one of these.  I would have used more, too,  had I been able to remembered them. 

The importance of teaching and nurturing a strong character in our children is vital.  Peer pressure begins so early and the need for acceptance is so compelling that often families lose sight of the real lessons to be learned.  Teach your children:   they are loved unconditionally, you are always open to discuss anything, you respect and value their viewpoints and they are  God’s magnificent creation.   They are enriched beyond measure with the ability to think and reason and discern.  To love and discover and weep.   Teach your children the courage to stand firm in their beliefs, to know their inner self and trust in God’s unfailing grace.
Pilate gave in.  He jumped.

Prayer:  Lord, forgive me for standing by when I should have acted, for being afraid, when I should have been bold.  Guide me in love to be a model for others to follow.  Amen
Family Activity

Read today’s scripture and play  “What if………..”  with your family members.  Imagine what would have happened had Pilate not handed Jesus over?  What would have been the outcome if Jesus had argued during his trial?  What if the disciples had incited the crowd?  What if the crowd had wanted Jesus freed?  Think of all the other “What Ifs” during this Lenten season.