Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Flogged - Rev. Dale Hunt

24 Hours That Changed the World: "The Flogging of Jesus"
The term “flogging” reminded me of an event in my childhood on the farm.  A mother hen and her chicks came around and I thought those little chicks were so perfect and pretty.  I don’t remember if I came near to them and wanted to touch or get a closer view of those little ones.  Nevertheless, the mother raised her feathers and came after me with a vengeance.  It scared me away and I was informed that I had been “flogged”.
When Pilate sent Jesus to be flogged it was more of a brutal whipping  and beating.  It was no scary brush with reality.  This so called “flogging” was part of a process of punishment for crimes and wrongdoing.  We know that Jesus was a victim of knowing what was the right thing to do and knowing God.  He had done no wrong and the flogging was an added insult to injury.  No doubt this brutal punishment was intended to weaken Jesus for the crucifixion.  It is impossible for us to sense the pain and suffering that Jesus experienced.  Beyond the physical suffering, Jesus had to deal with the mental abuse.  The betrayal and the shouts of the mob to kill him.  They had been brainwashed.  They simply didn’t get it.
On a personal note, some may wonder if Jesus thinks that we were worth his sacrifice. Each of us will have to provide the answer.