Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Focused Fast

I found myself working a little more focused on this third day of the SNAP Challenge. It was an interesting phenomenon: I was literally on the edge of my seat with some really fascinating meetings pushing through the stomach grumbles. My eyes were glazing over and I covered up the audible verbosity of my stomach. It was not that was bored with the content, no way; it was the separation between meals with fewer calories at mealtime. All of this helped me focus on the content at hand.

Jesus invited his disciples to fast, but not to make a show of their fasting. He invited the disciples to stay focused on the job at hand of working in the world, not to wrinkle up our faces and wander around making sure everyone knows were are "suffering." Jesus says to stay focused on the fast and its purposes.

Stay focused on the SNAP Challenge, so that all may see that the work of faithful discipleship is seen and heard! 



_______


Please read the Guiding Scripture below to continue your SNAP Challenge.
You are invited to add your comments below or on these media:
First United Methodist Church, Dallas, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/FUMCDal
Crossroad Community Services, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ccsdallas


_____________

Guiding Scripture, as you continue the SNAP Challenge:
“And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:16-18, NRSV).