Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Anxiety or Abundance? – Rev. Linda Roby

Breath Prayer and Words for Today: “I can trust my smallest concern to God's wisdom.”

Letting go of anxieties for me is an exercise in putting things in perspective, and finding balance. It’s a constant challenge throughout life, but one of the ways I have found helpful, is when I get outside myself and see others that have strong, courageous faith, especially in the midst of struggles or trials.  When I can sense hope beyond present circumstances, I regain a sense of gratitude, and can move forward trusting God’s provision in all things.

When this blog is posted, Frank and I will be returning from spending Thanksgiving week in Kampala, Uganda with some young people who have risen above their often unspeakable pasts; orphaned and vulnerable children who are signs of real hope and possibility. Their pasts don’t define them. Instead, they see opportunity, promise, and hope in trusting God, in the gift of another day to be the most they can be.  They give their best to make a difference in their own lives, in their community, and in making a little corner of the world a better place. It is in that reality, that I find real hope and a sense of God’s presence.

This advent I hope that you experience God’s abundance beyond the anxieties, no matter the circumstances.  

Lord God, I give thanks for the gift of another day.  May Your light shine in whatever darkness we experience. May we trust in your presence, find hope in love made real, and receive your peace this season. Amen.